The Possession Tops Weak Box Office Weekend
The Possession held on to the top spot during what was a lackluster weekend at the box office. The horror film earned an estimated 9.5 million dollars to finish in first place for the second weekend in a row.
Bradley Cooper's latest film, The Words, premiered in the third spot, with five million dollars, and the drama The Cold Light of Day bowed in 13th place, with just 1.8 million.
The weekend after Labor Day is typically a slow time of the year for the box office. Nevertheless, this marked the first time since 2008 that no film reached the 10-million-dollar mark. If estimates hold, the total box office gross for the weekend -- 67 million -- will be the lowest since the weekend after 9/11.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday, September 7th, through Sunday, September 9th, with estimated ticket sales, according to Hollywood.com:
1. The Possession, $9.5 million.
2. Lawless, $6 million.
3. The Words, $5 million.
4. The Expendables 2, $4.7 million.
5. The Bourne Legacy, $4 million.
6. ParaNorman, $3.8 million.
7. The Odd Life of Timothy Green, $3.6 million.
8. The Campaign, $3.5 million.
9. The Dark Knight Rises, $3.3 million.
10. 2016: Obama's America, $3.3 million.
Provided by ABC News Radio