The Expendables 2 Tops Box Office with $28.8 Million Debut
Moviegoers couldn't go without seeing The Expendables 2 over the weekend.
Sylvester Stallone's star-studded action sequel topped the box office, with an estimated 28.8-million-dollar debut.
Last week's champ, The Bourne Legacy, slipped to second place, earning 17 million dollars.
As for the other wide releases: the animated flick ParaNorman debuted in the third spot, with 14 million; Sparkle, the final film from the late Whitney Houston, premiered in fifth place, with 12 million; and Disney's family film The Odd Life of Timothy Green bowed in seventh place, with 10.9 million.
After receiving a publicity boost from the ongoing Robert Pattinson-Kristen Stewart relationship drama, Pattinson's film Cosmopolis made an impressive 72 thousand dollars in just three theaters.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday, August 17th, through Sunday, August 19th, with estimated ticket sales:
1. The Expendables 2, $28.8 million.
2. The Bourne Legacy, $17 million.
3. ParaNorman, $14 million.
4. The Campaign, $13.4 million.
5. Sparkle, $12 million.
6. The Dark Knight Rises, $11.1 million.
7. The Odd Life of Timothy Green, $10.9 million.
8. Hope Springs, $9.1 million.
9. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, $3.9 million.
10. Total Recall, $3.5 million.
Provided by ABC News Radio